Sunday, September 14, 2008

pranzo di domenica

(excerpted from a note to my friend, Brionna, senza fotografi)

"I'm good- I'm making friends and learning Italian which is what we all came for. I had a great day. Our landlady and landlord had us over for the Italian equivalent of sunday dinner. We gave my landlady a cookbook last week from the region she grew up in (we accidentally bought two of them- they are a cool promotion of national pride through cooking that the newspaper is putting out- one a week on a different region of Italy for 3 months) and she picked a bunch of recipes she remembered from her childhood. The best thing was that she invited me over to help cook. We made a bunch of stuff together and the kids were watching so she put them to work, too- speaking only Italian to them, mind you. And they did it! Maddy read an entire recipe out loud in Italian and then baked a cake, and Gus followed her instructions and made some fancy little rolls filled with green olives and anchovies that he was very proud of."

Maddy and Gus start school tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment