Saturday, May 9, 2009

il blog di gus: parmigiano-reggiano















One day we went to Parma, where they make parmiggiano-reggiano, it's a cheese that is really tasty and it's called parmiggiano-reggiano because it's only made in the area around Parma and Reggio Emilia.

here are some photos of our trip to see how real parmigiano-reggiano is made:
in the first two pictures there are people mixing up heated milk for making the cheese. In the next two pictures you can see new parmiggiano-reggiano cheese soaking in salt water (you can taste this when you eat it) and there's a picture of me showing how stinky making the cheese can be. The next two pictures show the wheels of cheese sitting on a shelf. They usually need to sit there for one or two years... So that's why they invented a machine to turn and dust the wheels and where it was sitting (pictured next) The cheese can stay there a very long time (even three years). The last few pictures show that the milk makes a ginormous ball that weighs way too much, so they cut the cheese to make two smaller 'twins.'

3 comments:

  1. Buon compleanno, Gus! I'm sorry I've been an absentee godfather but I really like reading il blog de Gus. First of all, what a great name for a blog. It makes me want to move to Italy and start il blog de Joe. But don't worry, I wouldn't do that because it's your thing. I have to say when I lived in other countries my English was terrible after a few months--you seem to be becoming an even better writer, which is great and should help you on re-entry. Well, I don't want to make this comment into il blog de Joe, so I'll just say I hope you had a great birthday and I'll look forward to reading about it. --Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I don't type, my mom does (that means there's less spelling mistakes). And I have been forgetting a little bit of English... I just put stuff about my compleanno on the second to top blog. Thanks for the compliment, Gus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tina... I just revisited your blog. Have you and your family settled back into your Mpls lives ok? I'd love to go out for a drink sometime and hear all about your trip. We're thinking about doing something similar... got any tips? Let me know... weekend? Weeknight? I'm flexible!

    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete